Work Hours required to Pay
Healthcare contractors provide a suite of health services to incarcerated people, including medical and mental healthcare as well as substance abuse treatment. The sector also includes a number of specialized health services such as hospice care, ambulatory care, and pharmacy services.
(Hover over pie chart for details)
Top 5 Market Players
- The Current State of Public and Private Prison Healthcare - Penn Wharton PPI (2017)
- The Steep Cost of Medical Co-pays in Prison puts Health at Risk - Prison Policy Initative (2017)
- Incorrect Care: A Prison Profiteer Turns Care into Confinement - Grassroots Leadership (2016)
- Profits vs. Prisoners: How the Largest U.S. Prison Health Care Provider Puts Lives in Danger - Southern Poverty Law Center (2016)
- Treatment Industrial Complex: How For-Profit Prison Corporations are Undermining Efforts to Treat and Rehabilitate Prisoners for Corporate Gain - American Friends Service Committee, Grassroots Leadership, Southern Center for Human Rights (2014)
- Rumble over jailhouse healthcare: As states broaden outsourcing to private vendors, critics question quality of care and cost savings - Modern Healthcare (2013)
- Charging Inmates a Fee for Health Care Service - National Commission of Correctional Health Care (2012)
- A Snapshot of Contracting in the Corrections Health Care Market - Open Minds (2015)
- A Look at the Players in Corrections Health Care - Open Minds (2015)
Galik, Lauren, L. Gilroy, and A. Volokh, "Annual Privatization Report 2014: Criminal Justice and Corrections." Reason Foundation. June 2014.
"List of large private companies." Bhamwiki.
Meyers, Woodrow A, "Letter to D.C. Council Chairman Phil Mendelson." Corizon. March 18, 2015.
"Moody's downgrades Correct Care Solutions Group Holdings, LLC's CFR to Caa2 from Caa1; outlook negative." Moody's. December 20, 2016.
Neate, Rupert, "Welcome to Jail Inc: how private companies make money off US prisons." The Guardian. June 16, 2016.
Royse, David, "Medical battle behind bars: Big prison healthcare firm Corizon struggles to win contracts." Modern Healthcare. April 11, 2015.
"Wexford Health Sources, Inc." Buzzfile.